The Basin labs sustainability statement
We are an Australian family owned and run company that strives to keep sustainability at the heart and core of our business. Many factors are involved in what makes a business and it’s products sustainable – we deeply care about the environment and the world our children will inherit. We also care about the economic and social sustainability practises important to Australia.
We limit the impact of our production process in every way possible and strive to limit the environmental impact of our products by producing durable, low-maintenance items that will last a lifetime.
Comparatively, The Basin Lab products have a significantly lower carbon foot print throughout the entire lifecycle than traditional ceramic and concrete bathware products. For example, CO2 emissions per basin are considerably lower than ceramic basins as our basins are not baked in commercial ovens at temperatures of over 1000 degrees which is required to glaze and cure the ceramic coating.
We refer to some of our processes below to highlight the sustainability assets we are proud off.
- All of our products are handcrafted in our studio at Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. (No robotic machines, oversea’s freight, or overseas labour. We support local to sustain local economy).
- Our bathware products are made from our unique resin composite material Oxyform TM it has been designed with durability, longevity, and sustainability in mind. Comparatively our production methods use minimal energy and resources.
- OxyformTM is a Low Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) material that cures when exposed to oxygen.
- All basins meet standards AS/NZS 1730:1996.
- Each basin is sculpted specific to size +/- 5mm, including volume of Oxyform TM leaving no wastage or clean-up after each basin is crafted.
- Our basins are easy to maintain. Due to the dense and non-porous surface our basins are stain and bacteria resistant and clean up easily with warm soapy water. No harsh chemicals required. and no on-going maintenance waxes or sealers needed.
- In the unlikely event of damage to the surface of a basin, it can be easily polished or repaired over the products lifetime.
- Our bathware is substantially lighter in weight compared to other sanitary-ware products (such as ceramic or concrete) therefore requires less energy in terms of building elements, transport, and installation.
- Our unique colouring system flows through the entire product which ensures repeated consistent colour matching and no samples are discarded.
- All of our packaging is recyclable and sourced through Australian suppliers.
- All our raw materials are sourced locally within Australia.
Thank you for supporting The Basin Lab – 100% Australian made and owned company.
Warm Regards, Steve Nicholls